Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Chain Rule

The eight different examples used to explain the chain rule were very helpful. I found the car situation the best at explaining this rule. To find the rate gas is being consumed is rationalized by seeing how units cancel eachother out. What I found most difficult was example 2, I felt like the chain rule was trying to use composite functions... Maybe it was just fuzzy, because I understand the idea of inside and outside functions but just reading on my own i don't feel confident in it.


The class may have the most difficulty with using the chain rule without units, such as the bank account example (#8) where you cannot double check you answer by seeing if the units are correct. On the bright side there is familiarity in the idea its a question about rates.

No comments: