Friday, October 19, 2007

Global Maxima and Minima

It was really interesting to see that global maximum and minimum differ if the endpoints of a function or included or not. But it makes sense that if there are no endpoints there can not be a global min or max because the function is continuing, you may not be able to see the real max or min. I had some difficulty with example #2; the question asks for the time when photosynthesis is fastest, but the rate at that time so is time the first derivative and the rate of at the time ,t, the second rate? Its the units I am trying to get to that's confusing.

What I found interesting was the graphical example, about minimizing gas consumption because I commute to my job about 45 minutes away every weekend and that driving speeds effect gas consumption and that is helpful to know since I unfortunately drive and SUV... yeah 14 miles per gal....

No comments: