Sunday, September 9, 2007

Functions and Composite Functions

The most difficult part about section 1.1 and 1.8 was opening the book! No, I am just kidding from section 1.1 I was having difficulty determining from the tables, graphs, formulas, and words which variables were the dependents and which were the independents. I had to actually stop and think aloud, if y were to happen, it would depend on x. Section 1.8 on compositions weren't too bad, i understand which function should be performed first, and then have that answer used in the next function. Graph transformations were a bit more difficult. I get the idea that graphs can be repositioned but multiple transformation or stretches may be more difficult.

What I found interesting was that and EKG pattern was used as an example. I volunteer at the ED at a hospital and I had seen the graphs before. I knew they measured electrical activity as a function of time, but it put functions in a more meaningful (and real-life example) light.

No comments: